Monday, June 15, 2009

The Seoul of it all

I am in love with a dirty, loud, pulsating, cultured, fast moving seoul of a city. In order to get a little break and get away from the hum drum that life seems to have become i took myself on a glorious little journey to Seoul. After not really spending any time there during this whole year i found myself wondering the streets in utter exasperation. How could i not have realized that this was here for me all this time. This mecca of culture, food, clothing . It almost makes me sad to think i could have ignored it for such a long time. But i spoiled her just as she spoiled me and i indulged in every little bit.

I had begun to think i would prefer to live in the country and live a quiet and peaceful life, but i still do not think i am ready for that. I need the smells of hot tar and sweaty people, the whoosh of the subway flying by, the millions of options available in everything you could possible want. Granted i think i would die if i could never leave be apart of nature, while i could probably live without a city, but it is not time yet.

Walking down her streets i was so happy. Hot and sweaty i climbed her hills to see what treasures lay on the other side. I drank the best coffee and ate divine pastries, treated myself to bombay and wine and went shopping in stores where women did not send me away. Granted i avoided almost everything that was Korean in the city and searched out all the little european, latin american and other worldly hide aways.

My lovely host for the weekend Sriram took me to an awesome hookah lounge with psychedelic paintings and fabulously eccentric music and we went to Hobo Hill the gay district of Seoul where i got hit on by men. A strange thing to happen to a girl who lives on an island where homosexuality does not exist and yet she is never hit on. I took myself out for superb food; belgian mussels and pomme frites, croissants and artisanal pizza, all a girl could want in life.

and of course i took myself out shopping and found some superb clothes while wondering through art galleries and antique shops. oh life is blessed!!!

No comments: